THE SUSAN G. KOMEN 3 DAY WALK FOR THE CURE
Well, I did it! It's a little surreal that it really happened since there has been so much planning, training, and working towards this goal.
It's hard to describe the experience-really it's something everyone should take the opportunity to do. To detail the journey a little bit:
Barry and the kids woke up at 4:30am Friday morning to take Beth and I to the opening ceremony at Southfork Ranch (about 45 minutes away). The kids were great, got ready so quick, and didn't complain the whole time-even when they had to be in the car for 2 hours and then go to school! We dropped off our backpacks-lucky for us the trucks took them to our campsite-and then moved towards the big stage. It was soooo freezing that morning. I could not get warm and could not stop shaking. They had a moving opening ceremony, so then I had frozen tears on top of everything. They brought out several walkers who had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and were participating in the walk. I was so amazed at all the people! The first day I think the adrenaline kept us going as we walked our 20 miles to our base camp. We were pretty ready to be there by the time we arrived.
The camp was a public park in Richardson. We quickly grabbed our gear and set up our pink tent. Everything was very well organized with different open tents where you could send or receive post cards (Note for next time: Send lots of encouraging mail and letters ahead of time to the 3 day post office.), buy related gear, receive foot massages, go through a yoga stretch, and of course the ever so popular medical tent. We found the shower trucks and stood in line for our turn in the hot and refreshing albeit excrutiatingly exhibitionist (ie. community dressing room) shower. We had a pretty good meal and then settled into our tent for the night-lights out at 9pm. (Thank you Sam and Kim for the air matress!)
The next morning we woke up to a cold, but gorgeous day. We were conveniently walking downtown today and so we were able to stop at CVS where I purchased some hand warmers-yeah! (I have come to realize I am never going to be able to live north of Arizona.) Let me sidetrack myself a bit-See, the hard thing to decide in the morning was how to dress. It gets cold when the sun is down and thus you need hats, gloves, etc. in the am and later pm. But midday, you could be comfortable in shorts and a tank top! Unfortunately, you are carrying all the warmer gear from earlier with you all day. Trust me, those gloves and hat get to feeling pretty heavy near the end of 20 miles. Anyway, layering was definitely the key.
My friend Beth developed some bad blisters on day 2 and after a stop at the medical tent (the line was a lot longer on the 2nd day), we decided to take it a little slower-hard for me to do-just ask Beth! We really were so fortunate to have such beautiful weather (despite the what-to-wear issue), the walk really was enjoyable. It was really interesting and educating to meet all the different walkers and hear their stories. There was so much inspiration and admiration all around you. It was hard not to have your spirit touched by the people around you. Sometimes I almost felt guilty that I was doing all the taking from these brilliant, strong women.
Beth and I both had several good blisters going on both feet after day 2 despite our best efforts to avoid them. (Really expensive shoes and socks combined with tons of bandaids, vaseline, 2nd skin, moleskin and whatever other remedies they told us would work.) So, after dinner and showers, we headed over to the medical tent to get them lanced and doctored up enough for us to make through the final 20 miles. Embarassingly, I passed out before she had even begun to fix me up. (I mean, come on, I have given birth to 4 kids, had two bouts of kidney stones, an uterine infection, an appendectomy-and I am sure I am forgetting something-this was just a few blisters for cripes sake!) I think it was just a combination of the muggy medical tent, the long day in the sun and whatever!
As I laid there in the cot wondering what was wrong with me and if I was going to be okay (I can catastrophe situations quite easily sometimes and I was feeling pretty badly for a few minutes.), I was reminded once again that there are great people in this world (Something so easy to forget if you watch the nightly news). Someone took my hand and was gently rubbing it and I heard a voice reassuring me-in a really cool british accent-that everything was going to be okay. It was several minutes before I was able to open my eyes and see her. I still was pretty groggy by the time my friend Beth found me to take me back to our tent (She had felt pretty queasy herself and managed to get out of the tent and lay on the cold grass outside until she felt better. She had finally come back inside to see what was taking me so long.), but managed to thank this stranger-not one of the doctors or nurses-for being there for me so I wouldn't feel alone.
I ran into my stranger the next day-I recognized her sweet accent-and found out that she was here from Houston to participate in the 3 day. There were people here from all over. Her friend she was walking with was laying next to me. Her friend jokingly complained that she had abandoned her when she turned to help me because she thought I looked like I was in a lot worse shape. Anyway, it was surprisingly comforting to have her there giving me quiet reassurance. I really do appreciate her actions and hope I will be able to remember that and pass it on if I ever have the opportunity.
Really, I felt fine after several minutes and had a horrible sleep that night even with my new hand warmers at the bottom of my sleeping bag. (I didn't sleep well either night-I like to think I just don't sleep well without Barry by my side. See honey, I did miss you.) I decided not to do anything about my blisters the next morning because I was a little gun-shy of the medical tent. (Even though the poor medical intern, who was rethinking her career choice after trying to help me, really hadn't hurt me at all while attempting to fix me up. I just really didn't want to risk it.) So, walking on day 3 was a little more painful than the first 2. I was very motivated though because I was really missing my Barry and the kids by now.
One of the coolest things during the walk were the cheering stations. They had certain areas along the route that were designated for friends and family to cheer and motivate the walkers. I was so amazed at the crowds of people that were there. You couldn't walk through there and not feel re-energized. Moms, dads, husbands, kids holding signs that say "My mom rocks" or "My wife kicked cancers butt" or "Thank you for walking to save my daughter". I have to hold back the tears just remembering it! Beth and I would come to the end of one of those all choked up, but definitely more motivated.
We also walked through a lot of neighborhoods where people would have signs or decorations and be out there cheering us on as we passed. Shouting thanks and giving out candy. The funny jokes helping us to lighten up. It was really cool to see all the support.
Beth's family was at the last cheering station with big drinks from 7-11 for us! It was so nice to see a familiar face and know we were almost at the end!
The best surprise came when we got to the last pit stop before the finish line. Barry, Tanner, Parker, Madelyn, Cambren, my mom and dad were all there. I was hugging them all, crying, and loving the signs & flowers when my Aunt Jessica and Uncle Don walked up! For those of you who don't know, my dad's sister, Jessica, "kicked cancer's butt". I can't tell you what an incredible moment that was to see her there (and Don too!) and to have her tell me thanks. I am crying right now typing this because it just meant so much to see her and have her make that trip (They live in San Antonio-about 4.5 hours away.) just to tell me thanks. I feel unbelievably small, weak, and humble next to amazing women like her and the many others that I met on the walk who have overcome so much.
I was so overwhelmed when we crossed the finish line. I turned to squeeze my friend Beth and said "We did it!". The kids and Barry were hugging us as we walked the final steps through the long line of supporters congratulating us on our finish. We joined that line to welcome the remaining walkers home and I was again amazed. There were young girls, husbands, older women, a woman in a wheelchair, pregnant ladies, soldiers, a lady in a stretcher, friends leaning on each other and limping to get to the end. As we all linked arms and walked in rows of ten to the closing cermony, I looked back and I could not see the end of the line. I think someone said there were over 2,400 walkers.
We bawled through closing ceremonies of course and then got to reunite with our families for good. Sam, Kim and Adam, James, Monica and Dylan, and my parents were also there to show us support. I was surprisingly not as sore as I thought I would be (My shoulders were sore from hunching over from the cold-okay, enough whining about how 40 degrees is cold.). I did have some pretty nasty blisters and my toenail is black now on my one foot-I hear that means it will probably fall off-ewww! I feel like the renewal of my spirit that I selfishly got from participating in the walk was worth all the begging for donations, the stress of the Scrapink fundraiser, and the 5am 10 mile training walks on the day that we were moving!
Even though it was originally my suggestion (the sanity of which I sometimes questioned), I have to say thanks to Beth who motivated me, okay pushed and pulled me when I needed it sometimes, to do this. It is because of Beth's strength and courage (I know she gets those traits from her mom!) that I was able to complete this 3 day challenge that became more of a journey for my soul than a simple fund raising event. I know that Beth's mom, Fran, who lost her short, but hard fought battle with breast cancer last year, is proud of her, of us, for doing a small part in helping to find a cure. Beth is the definition of a true, good friend and I feel incredibly privileged to have been able to take this journey with her.
Remember-do your monthly self breast exams, get a mammogram, and spread the word! Two things I learned is that one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 90% of the time, it is not hereditary!
1 comment:
I am so glad that you were able to experience the 3-Day. I would do it again in a heart beat. The women, stories and walking do make it an indescribable event. Thanks so much for walking, it means so much to so many people.
Post a Comment