By Barry (and Maria)
Well, we spent the last week on whirlwind trip to Utah. All I can say is that we had a blast! We packed a ton of fun into our all-too-brief trip. I was sad to leave, but ready to come home. I wish we would have had more time to visit other family and friends in the area.
Roadtrip
After failing in our original plan to leave mid-day on Friday due to a crazy week that left us woefully unprepared, we got it together enough to be able to get on the road early Saturday morning. I don't think I had one free moment this week and Barry was working late almost every day. That meant that I was left to cover 6 baseball practices and 2 soccer practices, the school open house, middle school band try outs, 2 dentist appointments, an emergency eye appointment and field day all on my own! We made it all the way to Green River, Utah before stopping for the night. Thank you Barry for driving the entire 18 hours! I also have to give props to the kids who were amazingly well behaved on this long drive. On Sunday morning we pointed our trusty 'burb toward Salt Lake City and hit the road again. Maria and I were both struck by how much we missed about Utah- specially southern Utah where the red rocks and unique landscapes hold so many fond memories for us. It's a special place to us. Utah has an unfair amount of gorgeous and varied landscape. We took hundreds (really) photos trying to capture it's beauty. We'll be holding a special 5 hour viewing at our house later. :)
Provo
We made it to Provo by late morning on Sunday and decided to take a detour through town to see how things had changed since we left in late 1998. It was a surreal experience to take our kids around the town we'd spent so much time in - where we met and fell in love -- the different apartments we rented, the duplex we owned, the campus. It struck us how eerily quiet the town is on Sunday, with the obvious exception of all the students in their Sunday best making their way to church. The weather was sunny and beautiful, which is how it was for all of our trip. Ditto.
We made it to Salt Lake in the early afternoon and proceeded to get settled in our hotel, which was near the U of U campus. Over the course of traveling with our children, we have come to the realization that it is worth the extra money to get the 'suite' whenever possible. This room had two king beds, a pullout couch, two bathrooms and a full kitchen. The extra space can make all the difference. Uh, yeah-can't do the single room, 2 queen beds any longer!
The Big Surprise!
Anyway, around four or so we headed to Joy (my baby sis) and Ryan's apartment to meet the new baby, Ari. My mom was also in town, helping Joy out with the baby and visiting her newest grandson. Joy did not know we were coming. We sent Cam to the door while we hid behind some stairs. He knocked on the door and when Joy answered he asked if Ari could come out and play. He was so excited to play this part in the surprise-he was totally cute! I think Joy had a hard time figuring out how her five year old Texan nephew was at her door in SLC, alone on a Sunday afternoon. She seemed quite puzzled at first. Then we all came out of hiding -- it was pretty cool to be able to surprise them like that. Joy cried. See, I'm not the only one. It was really neat. Then we got to meet Ari-- and as expected, he's a cutie. He was great the whole time we were there, even putting up with Cam's sometimes over-enthusiastic attention. What a great baby! I know that the parents always think (most of the time) that they have the best baby. He really was so easy going and adorable!
Snowboarding
On Monday Tanner, Parker and I headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon to Brighton to do one of my favorite things in the world that I REALLY miss - Snowboarding. The boys took lessons in the morning and I got the chance to ride the mountain alone for a few hours. I had a lot of fun even though I was missing Maria since we'd boarded there together quite a few times in our pre-kid glory days.
Maria had asked the doctor the week before if she could go snowboarding with her broken arm with three pins still in it -- the doctor said, "I'd rather you didn't", but her tone of voice communicated, "You've got to be kidding me?
Anyways, boarding alone was still fun. Not feeling bad about that. Considering it's been years and years since I last boarded, I'd say I did pretty well. I went back to check on the boys, only to find that Parker was having a hard time and was getting quite frustrated. Tanner, on the other hand, was
Mayan Adventure
Monday night, we regrouped and went to the Mayan Adventure restaurant, which is part rainforest cafe, part cultural center, part Olympic diving show. The diving show was very cool, in spite of a storyline that I just couldn't figure out. They dove from about 5 stories. There were back flips and somersaults. There was also fire stick dancing. It was cool! The wait for a table was horrendous. The service was atrocious. Really, really bad. The food was mediocre. Hair in my food-so gross!
Park City
On Tuesday, we went to Park City and browsed the shops downtown. Not long enough for me, but I appreciate the patience and endurance of all. After lunch at Squatters (spotty service again -- is this a Utah thing?), we met up with Ari, my Mom and Ryan at a tubing hill on the outskirts of Park City that is serviced by a lift (yeah!).
U2
Tuesday night, we decided to hit the U2 laser show at the Clark Planetarium downtown SLC.
Wednesday
On Wednesday, we had lunch at Bajio -- YUM! Great food-thanks for the suggestion Joy! Then we said goodbye to my mom who was headed home and we headed to Thanksgiving Point to see the 3D dinosaur show. Thanksgiving Point has grown a lot since we were last in Utah. After the show, we said goodbye to Joy and Ryan and headed back to Green River. It was really great to see my mom and Joy and Ryan and to meet baby Ari for the first time. We had a really good time! Hopefully, our surprise was a good one for them!
The kids got in a swim at the hotel pool before heading to bed for the night.
Goblin Valley
On Thursday Morning we headed south from Green River to Goblin Valley State Park.
Moab - and Arches
After Goblin Valley we headed to Moab, where the annual Jeep Safari was going on, and got a room. The town was packed with 4X4's, mostly Jeeps. It was cool to see all of the different rigs rolling up and down the street. We decided it'd be nice to take in a movie, so we all went to see Horton Hears a Who, and we all loved it. I recommend this movie to all. I think it is so hilarious with several valuable virtues wound into the plot.
After a well-earned rest, we headed to another of our favorite southern Utah spots, Arches National Park. Once again, we had great weather for hiking. We took advantage of it and after a false start at Delicate Arch (we couldn't find an open parking spot at the trail head), we hiked to Landscape Arch, Navajo Arch, Partition Arch and Wall Arch. The kids had fun and Maddie says that Arches was her favorite thing we did on the trip.
We did have an interesting thing happen with Parker, however. We'd stopped to take a break and the kids started trying to climb this wall to a small ledge. Tanner managed to reach the ledge after a little struggle but Parker couldn't reach as far and got stuck about 3.5-4 feet off the ground. He wanted us to help him get down but we told him he needed to do it himself and that he could easily jump from that height (he'd done plenty of higher climbs and bigger jumps both earlier in day and the entire previous day at Goblin Valley).
After Arches, we were all pretty wiped out and hungry, so we went into Moab and got a late lunch-early dinner before starting the long trek home. Plus spent way too much on souvenirs to remind us of our great trip! We made it as far as Gallup, New Mexico that night. Based on our limited experience there, my advice to you would be if you are ever in Gallup, New Mexico.... keep driving- particularly if you are even remotely tempted to get a room at the Days Inn. D-U-M-P. Kids! Don't touch anything! Don't take your socks off and just get into bed-after you check for bugs! Okay, not quite that bad, but close! We lucked out the rest of the trip, so I guess those odds are pretty good!
Anyway, we drove hard all day Saturday and arrived home sometime around 9pm. I actually drove for a few hours to give Barry a much needed break-plus, we couldn't afford another ticket! ;) We got some awesome donuts in Amarillo! We were on vacation so calories don't really count.
(We'll post some more pictures from our adventure soon)
4 comments:
Wow is it sounds like you guys had a really great time in Utah. You went to all of our favorite places too! Isabelle love the Planetarium, and would probablly go everyday if we drove her down there. Believe it or not they just redid the Mayan and it's supposed to be better. We have never had good service in Park City, rather ironic I think, but still a fun place to go. And I just love Thanksingiving Point. We'll have to try out Goblin Valley it looks great. Plus the kids have not really been to see the red rocks, not that they will remember but hey. What a fun adventure and to be able to see the new baby and make it a surprise, what an awesome time. It sounds like everybody loved it.
what a fun trip and great surprise! I would love it if Cam came knocking at my door asking for Jacob :)
Hi Barry and Maria,
I just love reading your blog. It keeps me up to date on whats going on in your world. Sorry I couldn't get to go on the rest of the trip with you but it really was great to see everyone. I know that Joy was happy to see everyone too. Hope too see you this summer. Love MOM
This was truly the best surprise ever... you guys mean so much to Ryan, Ari and I and it was surreal to have Cam standing at my front door on Sunday. I am so glad you guys got to come and spend some time with us and meet Ari - it will always be one of my favorite memories- Thank you - Love you
Post a Comment