Thursday, January 18, 2007

SNOW IN TEXAS!

I sent the kids off to walk to the bus stop at the front of our subdivision early Wednesday morning. As I buried the pang of guilt for making them walk in the dark, cold, snowy morning to the bus stop instead of driving them there, the phone rang. It was Barry on his way to work saying that the roads were pretty bad and maybe I should check the school closings. You can imagine the glee on their faces as I flagged them down to tell them that school had been cancelled for the day. Now, don't get me wrong, they love school and all do very well (straight A's across the board); but, who doesn't love a break-made all the more delightful by the unexpectedness of it. They had a great time playing outside with their friends for short five minute bursts before coming in freezing. Another five minutes by the fire with some hot chocolate (Thanks Grandma and Grandpa Sievert for the Cocomotion Hot Cocoa maker!), ten minutes bundling up again, and they are off once more. You gotta love the sheer joy a child shows, at least one unaccustomed to any type of snowfall-no matter how meager, when they are eagerly trying to scrape the hard, finger numbing, icy 'snow' from the ground to to shape a small, but effective snowball. The snowball fights were short of course-being that each person only got one ball each. But, I think the joy was just as intense. Trampoline snow angels, icicle tasting, ice sledding-what more could a kid ask for?!

An enjoyable surprise day of relaxing and fun!

No comments:

About this blog