Sunday, October 15, 2006

Braggin' Rights...


PARKER
Originally uploaded by mariasievert.

I'm totally going to brag about my brilliant son in this post. This past week we got the results of the testing Parker did to evaluate whether he would have the option to skip his current grade (2nd) and move into 3rd grade right away. I had to really push to get them to administer the test as they normally do it in the summer so they can start out in the correct grade when school begins.

Here's the tests' details: It's called credit by exam and comes from Texas Tech. Your local school guidance department administers it. After the student completes it, they have to send it back to Texas Tech in order to have it graded. It is compiled of four separate tests in each of the following subjects-math, language arts, social studies, and science. They are normally administered during the summer, one test at a time, and you have up to three hours to complete them. You have to score a 90% or above on each of the tests to be considered for grade acceleration.

Parker took them after school in two, 2-hour sessions. He also had part of his EXPO testing (This is what they call their gifted and talented program-this is a whole other post all together.), a series of 10 tests, during school on the days he took the credit by exam tests.(I would have requested a reprieve in his EXPO testing had I known he would be doing them on the same days as his other.) His brain must have been pretty toasted by the time he was done with all of this!

Okay, so the scores....drum roll please.....Social Studies=93%, Language Arts=98%, Science=95%, and Math=100%! Can I just say that Parker rocks?!

The dilema now is - do we move him? I don't worry about the academics in the least bit-he is self motivated and will do what he needs to do in order to excel. I worry a little about catch up work from the 1st 6 weeks, but only a little. I worry about the teacher he will get. He loves his current teachers and I love their energy, encouragement, support, and obvious love of what they do. What if he doesn't get along with the new teacher-what if he/she is irritated about taking on a new student in the middle of the year? I don't really worry about him socially because he hangs around older kids most of the time anyway and I actually think it's harder for him to make really good friends in his grade level. On that same note, he does have lots of great friends in his current class that he doesn't want to leave behind. And, I do worry that it will be harder for him to break into the "groups" that might have already formed within a new class, but I think he makes friends easily so I don't really see this as a problem. I do worry about as he gets older. Will the age difference be more apparent? Will it bother him that his friends drive when they are sophmores and he can't until he is a junior? Will there be a noticeable physical difference for him as he gets older that will possible interfere with sports or (gulp!) dating? *Sigh* So many things to consider!

Considering all that, I think I am leaning to skip him forward. His current teachers have been more than willing to work with him and have said that he could even sit in on parts of the 3rd grade class. (They are terrific and I so hope Maddie gets them next year!) But, then, it seems like that will just start a pattern of having him work ahead or with the next grade level in order to keep him challenged. So, it seems more logical to accelerate him now. But, I am not completely convinced and I feel it is such a big decision!

Parker thrives in a challenging academic environment and he loves it. I just want to keep that love of learning alive. So, please advice, thoughts, insight, a different point of view. Leave your comments below and let me know what you think! Did I mention that Parker rocks?!

The real question is...Who gets the credit for contributing the genius gene-mom or dad?

2 comments:

Ryan 'n' Joy said...

WOW, Way to go Parker! (Although I have always know that Parker rocks, those test scores are AMAZING!!!!!) Looks like you guys have some tough decisions to make ahead of you and seening as Ryan and I have NO parenting experience at all, we really feel inadaquate to give any- however I am confident that Parker is SO amazing that he will thrive in any environment. We love you guys and miss you all.

Allison and Ben said...

Wow, that is so great. I am very excited for you guys. I hope that he enjoys whatever grade you put him in. I am very impressed. If only I could get Isabelle to say her colors correctly we might be on the right path. Right now everything is purple. Oh well. That is too cool, Parker did a great job.

About this blog